History of United Way

 

The Community Welfare Fund was organized in 1919 by Ray Potter, W. H. Prudden, Frank N. Arbaugh, C.E. Bement, Donald E. Bates, and Charles W. Nichols as a community process for dealing with the large number of charitable solicitations being made.
 
The first fund-raising campaign raised $64,000 with approximately 3,000 contributors. Since 1919, the annual campaigns have raised over $100 million – more than $50 million in the last ten years – to meet the health and human care needs of this community.
 
Over the years, there have been several names changes with the organization becoming the Capital Area United Way in 1973. Capital Area United Way now serves the people of Ingham and Clinton counties, and northeast Eaton County. More than 3,000 local volunteers participate in various aspects of the operation and decision-making of the organization each year.
 
In 2019, Capital Area United Way will mark its 100th anniversary.  Make plans now to join us in a community celebration, highlighting 100 years of providing community resources to those who need it the most.

 

Year

Board Chair

Campaign Chair

2015 Dorothy Maxwell Mojo
2014 Keith Williams     Jason Colthorp/Sheri L. Jones
2013 Keith Williams     Andre Hutson/Patrick McPharlin
2012 Harry H. Johnson Evan Pinsonnault/Tony Conley
2011 Jerry Ambrose Harry H. Johnson
2010 Jeff Fineis Tico Duckett
2009 Glenn Granger Kip Bohne/Jane Aldrich
2008 Richard Liles Kelly Rossman-McKinney
2007 Ken Beall Randy Thayer
2006 Jerry King Glenn Granger
2005 John Zaworski Lupe Izzo

To view more board and campaign chairs, click the download button below.