When you make a planned gift to Capital Area United Way, you are making an investment in the future of our community. Your gift makes it possible for us to respond to whatever challenges arise and will impact the lives of our neighbors for generations.

How can I leave a legacy?

Legacy gifts are for anyone wanting to make a positive impact on their community for years to come. Legacy gifts can allow you to see your gift in action during your lifetime or can be a legacy you leave after your lifetime.

Legacy gifts are also referred to as planned gifts. Have you already made a planned gift to United Way? Please let us know of your gift by completing clicking HERE to complete a short intention form.

To learn more about opportunities to support our work, select one of the options below.


Make a Gift Tax-Free With an IRA

Are you 70 ½ or older with a traditional IRA? If so, you may be eligible to make a tax-free gift (up to a maximum of $100,000 per year) from your IRA called a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD). QCDs are always tax-free, regardless of whether or not you itemize deductions on your tax return.

To make your tax-free gift in just a few minutes, use our free online tool. Simply fill out the information online, print the form at the end, and follow the instructions to mail to your IRA custodian.

For your peace of mind, this tool doesn’t ask for sensitive information like account numbers or social security information.

Click this Get Started Button to begin



Create a Will

United Way has partnered with FreeWill to provide our community with a free online tool to create a legal will. It’s an easy, free, and virtual way to complete your will, while at the same time creating a lasting philanthropic legacy.





If you have a loved one who has been impacted by the Capital Area United Way, establishing a memorial or tribute gift is a meaningful way to honor them.




If you have appreciated stocks, transferring them directly to Capital Area United Way is a powerful way to make a greater impact on our community.  Desire to transfer stock to Capital Area United Way should be directed to:

Jim Eddy
Chief Financial Officer

We have a free and easy-to-use tool to guide you through the process in less than 10 minutes.